September 15, 2014

The Most Amazing Turkey Chili You Will Ever Eat

Unless you're allergic to peppers like my friend Meg and accidentally have an allergic reaction. But otherwise, this recipe of my father-in-law's is so easy and so, so good.

Ingredients

1 onion, roughly chopped 
1 red pepper, roughly chopped 
1 lb. ground turkey breast 
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped 
1 jar salsa or picante sauce 
2 Tbs ground cumin 
Several fresh basil leaves, sliced 
1 lg can Bush's Boston baked beans 
1 big can black beans, drained 
1 small can kidney beans, drained 
4-6 shakes original Worcestershire Sauce 
1/4 - 1/3 bottle of beer (drink remaining) 
1/2 tsp red chili pepper,
Salt & pepper to taste 

Directions

Put it all in a slow cooker, breaking up the turkey. Cook on low for, oh, 4-6 hours? That's it. Honestly, we've never used the basil leaves because I'm a terrible gardener and I've never missed them. This is an extremely flexible recipe, go ahead and substitute anything. This week I'm going to try making cornbread in the waffle maker and serve this chili on top.

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar.

Upon further reflection, I could probably make this without the peppers next time Meg is coming over. It's good, but perhaps not trip-to-the-ER good...

2 comments:

Ariel said...

I, too, have been rocking the slow cooker recently. I'll give this one a try next time! (Also, mighty thrilled to see you blogging)

Jenny said...

Ha! I only cracked open the blog because I was sick of having to make like four whole clicks on my ipad to get this recipe. Now it's just on my Pinterest boards. ;)